Monday, March 3, 2008

Cropping


Well, I really stunk at last week's theme of interaction. You would've thought that would have been an easy one for me, seeing as all I do is take pictures of my daughter, trying to capture her interacting and learning about the world around her! I was in a slump... and I'm blaming it on the weather.

Today, however, is a different story! It's March (finally!) and it feels like Spring! It's sunny and in the 60's, the snow is even melting! We decided to get out and play, since we here that it won't be here for long. In true Ohio fashion, the temps are expected to plummet into the 20s tonight. Oh fun.

We went to the park today and did some swinging.  Below are some of the action shots. I've included the before and afters, so that you can see the slight cropping I did.
I just finished reading Learning to See Creatively by Bryan Peterson. Great book. I'm trying to work on the composition of my photos, in particular, the rule of thirds. I didn't have a lot of time to think and compose during this photoshoot (the swinging was a little fast!), so I've tried to crop these photos to capture the look that I was after. I wanted her to be the main focus against the pretty blue sky.  Besides the cropping, these are all sooc.
CC is appreciated!! Thanks for looking! 


Manual. SS 1/500, f/9.0, ISO 200. Fill flash.


32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these all especially the last one...the color is great!
Cari

For Over 29 Years... said...

I love that last one. I think it turly shows a great crop.

Alicia Barry said...

I love the effect of the long chains.

Anonymous said...

love the last shot! love the crop! it's great that you used your flash to fill! great sun burst too! it looks like she's flying!

Unknown said...

The third is my favorite... .she is such a doll baby! tfs toni

Jason said...

Cool shots! I like the angels.

lcp said...

Great crops on these! Love the crop you did on the first one.

Amy said...

These are so fun! I love them all, what a great day you had!

Angela2932 said...

These are wonderful! And the cropping really enhances.

Krystle said...

Oh just love the second one. You've done such a great job with these!

C said...

Great pictures. The sunflare really adds to the pictures. Great cropping in the last shot.

HeyLady said...

I feel the same way - it's March - things are looking up. I love to be outside taking pictures. These are cute & I like the crop.

pat said...

Nice crops on these! I like the POV, too--very fun.

Stacey said...

These are great! Love the cropping and composition in these!

Michelle said...

good job on the cropping. and you really pumped those colors! very nice.

Sara said...

Great color, great swinging captures- they aren't easy!!!
These are so fun, I found myself grinning as I looked a them all. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Love the last shots color and crop. Swing photos are always fun.

Shanna Jones said...

Those are much better than my playground pics from yesterday...LOL

Kristina said...

Good job on the crop! You got some great shots shooting into the sun. Nice work!

Val said...

Great shots. Love the color and the sun in the last one

Becky said...

I really like your crops!

pakosta said...

love your crops! and that last one with the sun shining is amazing!
tara

Margaret said...

Fun, fun, fun shots! I love the angles on these....and being able to see the background around her. I love that book Learning to See Creatively. I think I've checked it out from the library about 5 times. I guess I should just buy my own copy!

Anonymous said...

I love all of your different perspectives on this. The up close and the far away, almost simulates swinging as the reader. Great job!

Unknown said...

Shawna, I got the shoes at gap. They are actually a rasberry color. I just love them toO!~ toni

Debbi said...

These are terrific shots! I love the crop in teh 2nd one!

Danielle said...

Very cute! I love swing shots.

Kelly said...

First the photos are great and the cropping on that first one is wonderful.

I have just ordered that book from amazon and awaiting its arrival. Glad to see someone is enjoying it

Bobbi said...

You got some great flare here, and I love the colors. I really enjoy Peterson's books- you are doing a great job!

Trina said...

Great shots! I can't decide which one of the first 2 I like better, the cropped or uncropped, they are both great. Love the crop on the last one! hmmm sounds like another Bryan Peterson book I might need to get, just finished his understanding exposure and it was great!

Sharon said...

I love the way your cropped your photos. You left room for movement and still got close up on the subject.

April said...

so cute..those are great crops and I also really like the sun in the last 2. great job!